Wednesday, July 7, 2010

No issues with living near wind turbine

From comments by John Bertram submitted to the Public Service Commission for consideration in writing rules for wind siting:

. . . my wife and I own acreage in the Town of Calumet. We have one of the eighty eight wind turbines that make up the Green Field-Blue Sky on our land. We have had absolutely no issues with the turbine since it began operating more than two years ago. As the former Assessor, I was involved in determining the acreage used for the access roads and turbine sites. The 44 turbines in the Town of Calumet used slightly more than 21 acres. Realistically this number could have been smaller if the original developer had not proposed to set back 1000 feet from a rural residence and 600 feet from a non-participating land owner property line. From a technical standpoint the turbines are efficient if they are at least 1000 feet apart. That would mean there could be 1 turbine on 40 acres of land. In the Town of Calumet there are several 40 acre parcels that have a turbine, however because of the residential set-backs, it is more likely to have 1 turbine per 80 acres, I believe that if a set-back is imposed, anything greater than 600 feet would be unthinkable. Actually 400 feet would be more realistic. When I erected my silos I put them next to my barn. Why would I build them 1 1/2 times their height away from where they are needed? I also have a grain elevator leg. It is 65 feet tall and I put it next to the grain storage bins, not 100 feet away in case it might come down. People build homes in wooded areas or they plant trees next to their homes. Using the proposed set-back logic, they should be obligated to clear an area at least 1 1/2 times the height of the tallest tree or not be allowed to plant a tree closer to the home than 1 1/2 times its potential height. Trees will topple easier than any steel or concrete structure.

1 comment:

Steve Barney said...

In the case of the siting of local windmills, we ought to give equal consideration to the alternatives, such as the nonconventional natural gas drilling that is the subject of an HBO documentary that is airing repeatedly this month:

Gasland
gaslandthemovie.com

HBO: Gasland
hbo.com/documentaries/gasland/index.html


If we compare the strength of the objections to and documented problems with that nonconventional natural gas drilling, which is within the US, to the objection to and problems with windwills in our area, it looks like windmills are the clear winner. The birdkills may be the most serious objection to windmills, and I am concerned about that. Hopefully, the larger windmills that turn slower don't kill too many birds, but I don't know.