Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Think conservation when building, buying new home

From a letter by Curtis L. Biggar, Appleton, in the Appleton Post-Crescent:

Shortly after the 1970s energy wake-up call, I was invited to a seminar for architects on passive energy.

I was introduced to climate and weather conditions; building orientation; building envelope energy calculations; green cost of various building materials; natural heating, cooling and lighting systems; and comparative costs of available forms of energy.

Following that enlightenment, I was changed forever and redoubled my effort over the past decades in pioneering passive solar buildings, condominiums and planned unit developments, all in the interest of conservation of land and resources. The Post-Crescent recognized the importance of many of these projects and reported on them enthusiastically.

American society soon forgot the exaggerated predictions that we will run out of oil near the turn of the century, adjusted to the ever-increasing rise in energy cost and began the most extravagant expansion of homebuilding in history.

Buildings have improved in quality and efficiency, but how many grand foyers, unused formal living and dining rooms, little-used kitchens and spas and home theaters do we need?

The long-term cost of maintaining an overbuilt inventory of homes and a public infrastructure for oversized lots, compounded with urban sprawl, presents a problem for society. I think it's time to satisfy our true needs rather than our overindulgences.


Biggar's letter continues with several conservation recommendations.

No comments: